Produced with the fantastic support of Andreas Hechler
Do you work with children, young people or adults? Do you want to incorporate the subject of intersex into your work? There are several different ways to incorporate intersex into your work thematically. You could ensure that the subject continually runs through your work (implicit) or you could approach it in a more emphatic way (explicit). There is also plenty of information available on other parts of our website relating to the important issues to consider in intersex and education and the important dos and don’ts that need to be followed.
Throughout our website, we also refer to a range of useful materials that are aimed at different audiences. You can also view videos and articles by intersex people – this is great way to enable inter* people to have their say. Please take a look at our voices and role models page.
Since the subject of intersex is receiving more and more attention in German-speaking countries, it may be the case that the information provided here, which was last updated in August 2019, is no longer up-to-date. It is therefore a good idea to supplement what you find out here with information from other sources too.
- Teaching materials on the children’s book PS: Es gibt Lieblingseis by the education initiative QUEERFORMAT which can be found at: https://oiigermany.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Queerformat_GS_LieblingsEis_Druckdatei-23-11-2018.pdf.
- Medizinische Eingriffe an Inter* und deren Folgen: Fakten und Erfahrungen. A pamphlet by the TransInterQueer Project entitled Antidiskriminierungsarbeit & Empowerment für Inter* in partnership with the IVI/OII Germany (Organisation Intersex International Germany e. V.)
- Schule lehrt/lernt Vielfalt Praxisorientiertes Basiswissen und Tipps für Homo-, Bi-, Trans- und Inter*freundlichkeit in der Schule. This comprehensive pamphlet provides information on gender and sexual diversity for teaching staff, social workers, school administrators, parent bodies, student councils and universities.
Click here to view information on a range of children’s books on the subject of intersex.
Books and websites
- Inter – Erfahrungen intergeschlechtlicher Menschen in der Welt der zwei Geschlechter. Elisa Barth et al. (2017/2013): Berlin: NoNo Verlag / Münster: assemblage edition. This anthology includes short, personal stories by intersex people from all over the world.
- Identitätskrise 2.0 oder eine Analyse meiner linken DNA. Ika Elvau (2019). Münster: assemblage edition.
- Inter*Trans*Express* – eine Reise an und über Geschlechtergrenzen. Ika Elvau (2014): Münster: assemblage edition. Short stories, poems and drawings by an intersex person.
- Mein Geschlecht – a portal for young trans*, inter* and non-binary people.
- Inter Visibility – European Intersex Visibility. In English.
- Interface Project – communicating the lived experiences of intersex people. Short videos in English in which intersex people of different ages and from different locations introduce themselves.
- #BIT* Basics Inter* und Trans* – The Fachstelle Gender und Diversität NRW is currently developing a digital self-learning platform for educational professionals (deutsch)
- Regenbogenportal – An online information service on same-sex lifestyles and gender diversity produced by the German Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSFJ). An extensive range of useful and informative texts on the subject of intersex.
- Inter* und Sprache. A pamphlet relating to the antidiscrimination project by TransInterQueer.
- If you want to explore the subjects of acceptance and diversity in more detail, you can find lots of recommended children’s books in the pamphlet Akzeptanz für Vielfalt.
- Come Join Us! Intersex Youth in Europe – English with German subtitles.
- My Intersex Story – English with German subtitles.
- We are here (a message for intersex youth) – English with German subtitles.
- What it’s like to be intersexual – English with German subtitles.
- Mein Kind ist inter* – German with subtitles.
- Menschen hautnah – Weiblich, männlich, oder was? Leben mit dem dritten Geschlecht Franziska Ehrenfeld, Insa Rauscher, Hannah Reineke (WDR, 43.30 minutes). Three inter* people from Germany are interviewed and accompanied around their day-to-day lives.
- Nicht Frau, nicht Mann! Régine Abardia (arte 2017, 57 minutes). Two inter* people are primarily interviewed; one from France and the other from Germany. Protests organised by intersex people and empowerment meetings are also shown.
- No Box For Me – An Intersex Story Floriane Devigne (58 minutes; French).
Comics and graphic novels
- Hexenblut. Suskas Lötzerich (2014): Vienna: Luftschacht-Verlag. This autobiographical graphic novel written by intersex author Suskas Lötzerich describes in a very open and honest way what it is like to grow up as an inter* person.
- Ach, so ist das?! Biographical comic strip reportages by LGBTI authors. Martina Schradi Band1 (2014); Band 2 (2018); “Oh, I see?! English best of”. (2017): Stuttgart: Zwerchfell Verlag.
- Plus educational materials: https://www.achsoistdas.com/fuer-schulen/.
Real-life experiences of intersex people are described in these comic strip reportages.
Sasha (pp. 63–66)
Sefik (pp. 71–74)
Mo (pp. 45–46)
Yasar (pp. 83–88)
Some of them are also translated into Russian, Spanish, English and Japanese.
- Let them talk! What genitals have to say about gender. A graphic survey. Yori Gagarim (2014): Münster: assemblage edition. A charming little book about the diversity of sex organs with short statements in English (including German translations).
- SCHLAU NRW
This educational and antidiscrimination project focusing on gender and sexual diversity offers workshops for school children, youth groups and groups of young adults. The subject of intersex is currently being gradually introduced.
- Schule der Vielfalt – Schule ohne Homophobie
This educational project encourages students and teachers to do more to prevent discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans*, inter* and queer people in schools. On the website, there is a range of teaching materials for lessons and project days as well as ideas that can help schools to promote greater acceptance of different lifestyles. Information on intersex issues is also included in the material.